In line with the vision to usher in a new era of tribal empowerment, India declares the day of Bhagwan Birsa Munda’s Jayanti as Janjatiya Gaurav Divas. Under the leadership of Shri Narendra Modi, landmark decisions of strengthening of legal protections, an extension of reservations and more were taken and the inauguration of the Bhagwan Birsa Munda Museum was held in Jharkhand. Every year, this day will be a celebration of the unique way of life of our tribal communities!
Strides made towards the empowerment of tribal communities:
- Doubling of budget for scholarship from Rs978 crore in 2013-14 to Rs2,546 crore in 2021-22.
- Five-fold jump in the number of Eklavya schools sanctioned in 2014-2021 (472), compared to 2004-2014 (90).
- A seven-fold increase in the number of minor forest produce items covered under MSP from just 12 in 2014 to 87 in 2012.
- Sixty-two-fold jump in value of procurement of minor forest produce from just Rs30 crore in 2014-15 to Rs1,870 crore in 2020-21.
- Strengthening of SC/ST Prevention of Atrocities Act ensuring a life of respect and dignity.
- For the first time ever, Development and Welfare Board for De-Notified, Nomadic and Semi-Normadic Communities was constituted.
- 10 Tribal Freedom Fighters Museums being set up across India to acknowledge heroic deeds.
- Bamboo taken out of regulatory shackles by amending Indian Forest Act, boosting bamboo cultivation and sale.
- Mission Van Dhan benefiting 9lakh people via 52,976 Van Dhan SHGs in 3,110 Vikas Kendra culsters.
- Central ST component budget more than tripled from Rs21,525 crore in 2013-14 to Rs78,256 crore in 2021-22.