It’s 2020 but menstruation is still a taboo in lot of places. Girls on their period are discriminated against and made to believe that mensuration is something dirty and not a natural bodily process. On World Mensural Hygiene Day, we have come up with some periods myths which we are not sure why people still believe. Let’s scroll up!
1. Myth – Food like curd, tamarind and pickles disturb menstrual flow.
Fact- There is nothing you can’t eat on your period.
2. Myth- Girls are ‘impure’ while they are on their periods so they shouldn’t visit cook or visit religious places.
Fact- Menstruation is a natural biological process. There is nothing impure about it.
3. Myth– Any form of physical activity can disturb menstrual flow.
Fact- Light exercise can sometimes (not always) help relieve the pain.
4. Myth– If you use a tampon you are no longer a virgin.
Fact– Being a virgin essentially implies that someone has not yet penetrative sex. And using a tampon has nothing to do with sex. Plus virginity is a social construct.
5. Myth– You can’t get pregnant while on your periods.
Fact– Menstruation is a period where women are the least fertile, but pregnancy can still occur. So, use protection.
So, Let’s Learn and spread the words.